Each winter southern Californians have the privilege of seeing migrating Gray Whales right off shore! ACS-LA is committed to educating people about these great creatures. Along with the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, ACS-LA trains docents to accompany whale watching trips to educate the public about the whales, dolphins, and other sea creatures that live off our coast.
We encourage all whale enthusiasts to consider becoming a volunteer Naturalist with our Program. If you are interested in participating:
- Training is held each Tuesday October through March at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro from 7:00-9:00pm.
- Training starts each year on the first Tuesday in October. Mark your calendar.
- Registration is available only at the Aquarium during the first, second and third sessions. After the third training session registration is closed for the season. Please consider returning next year.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- For more information on the program, please visit the CMA website’s volunteer page.
We partner with the following whale watch companies. Trips are available late December through April and are 2.5 to 3 hours long. Whalewatch Naturalists are available for trips with:
Redondo Sport Fishing
233 N Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Marina del Rey Sportfishing
13759 Fiji Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
Ports O’ Call Village, San Pedro, CA 90731